Monday, May 30, 2011

Closet Craziness

I moved into my brother's old room three years ago, and the first thing I did was fill the closet with everything I could get my hands on. Then I crammed the nooks and crannies with random little things, like an alien-bobble-head, a mini-dollhouse of pink legos, a UFO landing site, and pictures of Orlando Bloom. Then I shoved a few sparkly ballroom gowns on top for good measure.

I shut the door, hung a pretty picture on the outside, and vowed never to open that closet again.


Three years later, I moved back to America, and, after a week of wearing exactly the same outfit, came to the conclusion that maybe I should unpack my clothes.

I tried various unpacking methods.

First, I kept everything in suitcases on my floor. But, after a few days, the suitcases magically shrank, as suitcases tend to do once opened, and my clothes no longer fit inside. So I took a more artistic approach and left my clothes in piles, on top of furniture, and draped from my bed.

This was... messy.

After a few painfully stubbed toes while trying to navigate the labyrinth of stuff covering my floor, I decided it was time to have a functioning closet again.

Surprisingly, on opening the door, no flying saucers came rushing towards my face, nothing came crashing down on my head, and my pictures of my beloved Orlando had not come to life to stage a coup against the disaster that had taken place in my closet.


I decided to go all Peter Walsh on my closet and emptied the entire thing out... onto my sister's bed.


The result was a nice, clean, empty closet. Which immediately made me want to fill it with stuff.  I resisted, and set about dealing with the mess I had made in my sister's room.


But what to do with all that stuff? I set my eyes on a playpen in the corner of the room, and decided that it would be my "donate" pile. My goal was to fill the playpen with things for charity, and then when it was full, I would take everything else back in my room, close my sister's door, and hope she didn't notice...


At the same time, I worked on relocating things to other parts of the house that really didn't belong in my closet. Okay, that's cheating. I'm a dirty, dirty cheater. Shhh!!

  • Hall Closet: Coats and jackets
  • Cedar Closet: Ballroom gowns worn less than twice a year, linens and towels from my old apartment (I'm planning on moving to a new apartment in a month or two and won't need them until then)
  • Office: Office Supplies, computer parts, printer
  • Attic: Legos and kitchenware

Back into my bedroom closet went all of my clothes from the floor, along with a basket of souvenirs from India, a tote bag of my professional organizing supplies, a box of computer/video games, a few board games, and a pretty red box containing my collection of Rubix cubes.


I'm happy to say that my closet is now clean and functional! But I'm still wearing the same outfit everyday. Why mess up a perfectly good look ?

1 comment:

  1. "Thanks for sharing. I found a lot of interesting information here. A really good post, very thankful and hopeful that you will write many more posts like this one. ecelebrithytrend privies all kind of famous celebrity , height,weight, net worth
    age, biography, and all interesting facts."

    ReplyDelete